Since the website was redesigned, I've been noticing very poor performance while typing. I do type reasonably fast, but it's quite noticeable - while typing this, the letters appearing on the screen average at least a couple behind my keystrokes. I see a corresponding CPU usage spike.
The problem presents in:
- Firefox 3.6.12pre on Ubuntu 10.04
- Firefox 3.6.6 on CentOS 5.2
- Konqueror 3.5.4-15 on CentOS 5.2
- Firefox 3.6.11 on WinXP (assuming this is what daniel means by "fully updated")
But not in:
- Chrome 7.0.517.41 on Ubuntu 10.04
- IE 7.0.5730.13 on WinXP (I'm fairly sure - this is on a VM, which lags a little to begin with, but I don't think it's the site)
The Ubuntu 10.04 system has a quad-core Phenom 9950 2.6GHz Radeon HD 4850 (512MB), and the CentOS 5 system has a quad-core 2.66GHz Xeon and a GeForce GTX 280 (1024MB). The lag is more noticeable on the first. These are hardly puny systems. (And I actually have a second Ubuntu 10.04 system - a four-year-old laptop, on which the problem is even worse. I forget the exact specs.)
I would suggest that even if the CPU spike isn't bad enough to cause noticeable lag at your typing speed, it's still evidence the bug is there. Typing probably shouldn't need significant CPU.
(I'll edit this to add more browsers/systems as I can. If anyone can quickly test in Opera or Safari, that might be helpful. I don't have a mac, and I don't have root at work so I can't go off installing more browsers.)