Recently, this question was asked. The OP created a tag "sable", which I deleted. I thought there was a tag already for these kinds of dough, but apparently, there isn't. I created the tag "sand-dough", thinking this term is a bit more common than "sablé".

What term do you think is correct for this kind of dough?

  • sand dough
  • sablé
  • brisé
  • shortcrust
  • ... (feel free to suggest your own term)
  • 2
    And in which English dialect :-)
    – SAJ14SAJ
    Commented Aug 11, 2013 at 16:38
  • Since we usually take the American English as guidelines, I suggest we also use the AE term here.
    – Mien
    Commented Aug 11, 2013 at 17:12
  • That's the thing, @mien. Not sure there is a single well known standard US English culinary term for this, especially outside of trained pastry professionals, which is the only reason I know the word--I took some pro classes.
    – SAJ14SAJ
    Commented Aug 11, 2013 at 17:20

3 Answers 3


Sable is (AFAIK) a very specific type of shortcrust pastry, so should be fine if it doesn't already exist - that's a pretty well-known baking term, at least in North America.

On the other hand, low-frequency tags are automatically purged from the system, so it's probably a lot of effort for nothing. Any one of those tags you create will probably disappear very soon. I'd just slap a or on it and be done with it. If we somehow end up getting a ton of questions about sable or shortcrust within the next year, we can manually retag or add a tag at that point.

IMO, at this point in our site's lifetime, that's more or less how all new tags should be getting created, i.e. finding something important in common between a bunch of pre-existing questions and then adding the tag when it actually has value. Maybe on sites like Stack Overflow it makes sense to create new tags as one-offs because new technologies are constantly being developed and it'll probably get used again. But with cooking, the landscape doesn't change that much or that often; if a tag doesn't already exist yet, it's because it's a subject that's almost never discussed on the site, and probably isn't worth creating a tag for until it's more popular.

  • shortcrust does not exist, which surprises me a bit.
    – Mien
    Commented Aug 11, 2013 at 17:41
  • Shortcrust might be known way up north, but I never heard it until today, not as a proper noun. Just as in "that crust is very short."
    – SAJ14SAJ
    Commented Aug 11, 2013 at 18:01
  • @SAJ14SAJ: It's actually largely a U.S. term in my experience, not Canadian.
    – Aaronut
    Commented Aug 11, 2013 at 18:27
  • 1
    Just googled "shortcrust"... the first page of results are overwhelmingly British and Australian.
    – SAJ14SAJ
    Commented Aug 11, 2013 at 18:39

The only ones of those terms that I have heard before they came up in chat discussion today were:

sablé brisé

I don't know that there is a general term that US home cooks would consider widely recognized for these things at all.


For what it's worth, I've usually heard "short dough". I think this might be too regional for a good match.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .